Thursday, November 8, 2007

Not Cal vs Stanford, but Still....


Solstice01 with the shooting and the hurting.

On my quest to claw my way back to Skill 27 in Lone Wolves, I sat down after work and fired up the 360. I've come to believe that the skill levels and ranks of your opponents have a direct impact on your skill level at the end of the game. So you can imagine my dismay at seeing that my skill - 25 - was the highest in the room. The others were 24, 22, 21, 21. I knew if I dropped this one, I'd go to 24, which is a loooong way from 30.

The game started badly, and continued to worsen. Before long, the pressure inside my basement was palpable. I would get beat down. I was getting killed repeatedly by a guy on a Ghost. Why I never just avoid the the Ghost I'll never know. The landslide continued, until with just 53 seconds left, I was 4 kills behind the leader and had just died.


I respawned inside the base farthest from the edge of the hills, and as I came out into the sunlight, I shot a guy with the assault rifle. As I turned to the right, another Spartan was jumping over to my position. I quickly finished him off while he was preoccupied with what would be my next victim.

Knowing I was running low on shields and luck, I sprinted back inside the base to come out the other end and flank my enemy. I picked up a dropped needler when he saw me and started to fire the evil Brute Shot. I backpedaled back into the loving arms of the base and threw a grenade to cover my path. He walked through the explosion but was weakened, so I beat him down as he came through the door. My shields were spent and yet another Spartan was following him into the base to take care of me. I sidestepped him when he couldn't turn in time, and assassinated him.

With 15 seconds left, I ran through the base backout into the middle, and saw another enemy trading blows with Mr. Must-Drive-The-Ghost. I killed him and took the lead. The Ghost ended my luck with 3 seconds to go, and at the end, I had pulled the upset.



I'd always rather be lucky than good.

2 comments:

Yakko Warner said...

Nothing wrong with getting lucky every now and then (bow-chicka-bow-wow).

--CyberKnight, a.k.a. The Peanut Gallery

Solstice01 said...

Better to be lucky than good. :)